[R] solving linear equations

varunshivashankar varunshivashankar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 20:35:54 CEST 2011

Hi Bolker,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you very much. The code works fine.
I am indeed sorry for telling you it was a linear equation.

I am just trying to use the R code to perform the curve fitting problem for
the team of biologists. The data given to me was a sample data and they told
me they use the 4 parameter and 5 parameter log logistic functions, they
haven't exactly given me anything else. Is there a more general way to find
the parameters and hence perform curve fitting on a given set of data.

I just want to know how you came up with the initial values of a and d. I
would also like to know if there is a formula or an approximation, given the
data, to find the same, as they want the process to be automated.

Please do let me know, and I am much obliged to whatever help I get.

Varun