[R] How make a x,y dataset from a formula based entry

trekvana trekvana at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 20:54:33 CEST 2011

Hello all,

So I am using the (formula entry) method for randomForests:

randomForest(y~x1+x2+...+x39+x40,data=xxx,...) but the issue is that some of
the items in that package dont take a formula entry - you have to explicitly
state the y and x vector:

randomForest(x=xxx[,c('x1','x2',...,'x40')],y=xxx[,'y'],...)

Now my question is whether there is a function/way to tell R to take a
formula and make the two corresponding datasets [x,y] (that way I dont have
to create the x dataset manually with all 40 variables I have).

There must be a more elegant way to do this than
x=xxx[,c('x1','x2',...,'x40')]

Thanks!
George