[R] Supporting R/Membership

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sun Sep 25 20:07:26 CEST 2011

On 9/25/2011 9:57 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:
> Joshua Wiley-2 wrote:
>> So we have at least three people interested, maybe not call for a
>> totally new system.  What about a PDF form that could be filled out
>> digitally, saved, encrypted using the R Foundation's public key, and
>> emailed?  GPG keys are free, and I can make a fillable PDF.  Is that
>> sufficiently secure?  Are there risks I am missing?  In fact, attached
>> is a sample of how the form could work.  For the overall signature,
>> you could just retype your name, but for the credit card, the field is
>> a digital signature.
>>
>> I know what you mean about being uncomfortable sending credit card
>> details by mail---I'd almost just as well send it in plain text via
>> email as plain text via post.
>>
>> Anymore thoughts?  I did check out Paypal again, even for a nonprofit,
>> there is a 2.2% transaction fee + additional fees for currency
>> conversion + international fees.

       Just brainstorming:

             1.  What are the charges for alternative methods of
payment?  Josh said Paypal charges 2.2 percent.  What about various
credit and debit card clearing services plus paper checks and electronic
funds transfers?

             2.  In which locations and currencies does the R Project
incur costs?

             3.  Answers to these two questions could help us design a
system that makes it easy for people to contribute while also maximizing
the portion of the money contributed that actually supports the R
Project (minimizing losses to bank charges).  [Getting this information
is not easy, because financial institutions have innovated to increase
the complexity of the services they offer, because this makes it easy
for them to charge higher fees then they could if consumers could more
easily compare what are essentially commodity services.  See, e.g.,
Stiglitz 2010 Freefall, Norton, esp. ch. 6.]

       My biases are to avoid if possibly the large multinational banks,
because the evidence I've seen (e.g., from Stiglitz and others) is that
the largest banks are primary drivers of political corruption and
instability in the global financial markets.  My biases tend toward
credit unions, at least some and perhaps all of which are officially
owned by their customers and are legally constrained in their lending
practices to avoid the most risky and destabilizing types of
investments.  However, those are issues largely independent of what the
R Project can do to maximize revenue from contributions and ease of
managing its finances while minimizing losses to bank charges.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer