[R] Randomly selecting rows with unique values in two columns

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 27 02:53:43 CEST 2011

On Sep 26, 2011, at 5:42 PM, hasan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to randomly select rows with unique values in columns 1
> and 2. I
> want to generate multiple subsets to estimate a statistic for each
> data set.
> Below is a simplified example.
>
>   L1 L2 L3 L4 L5
> 1   a  b  1  2  3
> 2   a  c  4  5  6
> 3   a  d  7  8  9
> 4   a  e 10 11 12
> 5   a  f 13 14 15
> 6   b  c 16 17 18
> 7   b  d 19 20 21
> 8   b  e 22 23 24
> 9   b  f 25 26 27
> 10  c  d 28 29 30
> 11  c  e 31 32 33
> 12  c  f 34 35 36
> 13  d  e 37 38 39
> 14  d  f 40 41 42
> 15  e  f 43 44 45

I think this is isomorphic to a question in the last couple of days on
StackOverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7536218/how-do-i-take-subsets-of-a-data-frame-according-to-a-grouping-in-r-tricky-aggre/7536610#7536610

(I don't think the -1 score on my tapply solution is exactly fair. but
I suspect that Ari has moved on to other things and is not going back
to check up on edits. I think w=either solution should provide a
random selection within groups.)