[R] Password protected R Repository

Stefan Petersson stefan.petersson at inizio.se
Wed Sep 28 15:51:41 CEST 2011

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley <at> stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Who said that RCurl::getURL worked with install.packages?
> (At least, I assume this is from RCurl: you did not mention it.)
>
> install.packages() first calls available.packages(), and that uses
> download.file to get the PACKAGES[.gz] file.  It then calls
> download.file to get the packages.
>
> So please read the help for download.file (as the help pages say), and
> try the solutions described there.
>
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Stefan Petersson wrote:

The helpfiles for 'download.file' was not that helpful. But maybe it's just me
not being able to read them correctly.

I tried to call install.packages with the 'method=wget', and hoped for a
username and password dialog. But no luck. Other than that, I see no arguments
that relates to my problem under ?download.file. Which btw is 'installing an R
library from a password protected URL (Apache Basic Authentication)'.

Actually, nobody said that RCurl::getURL would work with install.packages, but
from what was written in a post somewhere I jumped to the (false) conclusion
that it would work. That's why I tried it.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!