[R] simplest pgfSweave example results in error

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 10:21:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

yes, I had a look at pgfSweave package and realised that it uses texi2dvi to
compile the pdf file.

I tried so much last night again that I am not entirely sure whether it is
the same Rnw file or not.

I just deleted everything and created a new R-project including a tiny
example. I also
included sessionInfo(). pgfSweave failed with the same error message:

> library(pgfSweave)
> pgfSweave(file = "/Users/XXX/Documents/Eclipse/Sweave_Test/test.Rnw")
Writing to file test.tex
Processing code chunks with options ...
 1 : echo highlight term verbatim
 2 : echo highlight term verbatim
 3 : echo highlight term verbatim tikz sanitize

You can now run (pdf)latex on 'test.tex'
Not regenerating makefile for externalization, if your figures have changed,
remove /Users/XXX/Documents/Eclipse/Sweave_Test/test.makefile and recompile.
Error in tools::texi2dvi(paste(fn, "tex", sep = "."), pdf = pdf, ...) :
  Running 'texi2dvi' on '/Users/XXX/Documents/Eclipse/Sweave_Test/test.tex'
failed.
In addition: Warning message:
'DESCRIPTION' file has 'Encoding' field and re-encoding is not possible

Also pgfSweave did not create any pdf file. I think the reason why I had a
pdf file the last time was that at some point I was running the normal
sweave which runs without any errors.

I then compiled the test.tex file by hand using pdflatex. The pdf was
created without any errors.

I uploaded all files produced by pgfSweave as well as pdflatex here:

http://elxsi.de/~wolfgang/

Hope that helps to track down the cause of the failure...

Syrvn