[R] different results aov vs. lm

Martin Batholdy batholdy at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 30 11:55:00 CEST 2011

Hi,

I currently running regression models on an experimental dataset.
The model contains one independent continuous variable and two independent experimental conditions (one with two factors, the other with three factors) and several covariates.

Now I get different results for a covariate in this model when I run
aov(modell) vs. lm(modell).

In the ancova model, one of the covariates seems to explain a significant amount of variance.
But in the lm-statistics this variable doesn't exceed the p-threshold of p = 0.05.

How can that be?

thanks for any advice on this!