[R] trouble compiling on Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 1 00:40:29 CEST 2012

On 31/03/2012 10:38, Joshua Wiley wrote:

> I may be putting my foot in my mouth, but I want to say that Rtools
> changed at 2.15 from mingw to gcc.  I would check that you have the
> most recent version of Rtools installed, make sure you have the right
> directories in your path environment variable (which also changed, I
> believe), and make sure you use the default tool chain in
> Mkrules.local if you set it.

I think the 'giving credit where credit is due' dept requires an update
there.

All builds of R under Windows in recent years have used GCC ('GNU
Compiler Collection') and GNU binutils (for the assembler, linker, ...).
   All 64-bit Windows builds have used the ports developed for the
MinGW-w64 project, as well as their runtime ('libc', 'libm' and more,
including headers).

Prior to R 2.14.2 we used for 32-bit Windows the ports from the
Mingw.org project and their runtime.  We now use the 32-bit versions
from MinGW-w64.

Erin had libgomp.spec missing.  There are MinGW-w64 toolschains out
there with it missing, but the master sources for the toolchain I
compiled does have it.

The OPENMP setting in src/gnuwin32/MkRules.dist should not need changing
if the correct toolchain is used (and that the binary distributions
manage to get built with the default setting is some confirmation of this).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk