[R] How to adjust the stack size of R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Apr 1 19:16:02 CEST 2012

On 01.04.2012 08:46, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
> 2012/3/31 Uwe Ligges<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de>
>

>> On 30.03.2012 03:16, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I got a stack overflow error when training a glm model with a very long
>>> formula.
>>>

>> I just tried with a formula of length 1000. How long was yours?
>> Which version of R? Where is the repdroducible example?
>>

> We have a glm formula with 76251 terms, the text of the formula is about
> 150K, we are using R 2.14.2
>
> Xiaobo Gu

You would need do compile your own copy of R and increase the stack
size, on the slow machines around here, it takes even hours just to
parse the formula.

Aynway, I canmnot believe you have a sufficient number of observations
in the end:

You need at least 76252 obs and that means the design matrix needs > 46
Gbyte! Hence a sensible calculation is not really possible unless you
have really big machines around.

Best,
Uwe Ligges