[R] how to read netcdf file in R

David William Pierce dpierce at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 2 17:50:54 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Yogesh Tiwari <yogesh.mpi at googlemail.com> wrote:

> How  to read netcdf files in R ?
> Which packeges do we need to install for this,
> and what commands are used for reading netcdf files.

Typical code would look something like this:

library('ncdf'')

filename <- 'data.nc'
varname <- 'Temperature'

ncid <- open.ncdf( filename )
data <- get.var.ncdf( ncid, varname )

If you need to see what variables the file contains to get the
variable names, just do a "print(ncid)" after you open it.

If it is a very large file, too large for the data to fit in memory
all at once, you can step through and read each timestep in the file
separately using the "start=" and "count=" arguments to the
get.var.ncdf() call.

Regards,

--Dave

--
David W. Pierce
Division of Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography
(858) 534-8276 (voice)  /  (858) 534-8561 (fax)    dpierce at ucsd.edu