[R] A trivial plot gives open circles as the plot char but another one gives me "q"s . . why is this?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Apr 3 07:19:09 CEST 2012

People,

On my home computer with a real plot I get what I expect - open circles
as the plot character - on my work computer I get "q"s !  So I tried a
trivial test plot on the work computer ie:

  a <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
  b <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
  plot(a,b)

and that also gives me open circles as it should! - the plot line in my
real script is:

  plot( means5[ ,4 ], means6[ ,4 ], xlab="640loci-50reps Gen4(-1) Rst",
ylab="ADf" )

I have tried adding the "pch=x" command with no effect . . what is
going on?  (Both computers have the same fonts installed although the
home computer is Fedora 16 and the work one is Fedora 15).  It is very
frustrating . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--