[R] indexing in a function doesn't work?

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Apr 3 07:33:37 CEST 2012

Hi

There is some mismatch in curly braces in your plotter function but when I
try to use it I get

plotter(10,3,fram=rwb,framvec=rwb$prcnt.char.depth,obj=prcnt.char.depth,form1=
+ post.f.crwn.length~shigo.av,form2=post.f.crwn.length~shigo.av-1,
+ form3=leaf.area~(1/exp(shigo.av*x))*n,type=2,xlm=70,ylm=35)
Error in sub.plotter(i, fram, framvec, obj, form1, form2, form3, type,  :
  object 'rwb' not found

You did not mention where we can get rwb so it is quite difficult to
present any help.

Your function nesting seems to me also a little bit weird as the result
from nested function is not known to enclosing function.

> test<- function (a,b) {
+ g <- a/b
+ sub.test <- function (a, b, d=10000) (e <- a*b*d)
+ c(g, e)
+ }

> test(2,4)
Error in test(2, 4) : object 'e' not found

But when you define sub.test outside of test

> sub.test <- function (a, b, d=10000) {
+ e <- a*b*d
+ e
+ }

> test<- function (a,b) {
+ g <- a/b
+ e <- sub.test(a,b)
+ c(g, e)
+ }
> test(2,4)
[1] 5e-01 8e+04

everything works. And it seems to me easier to maintain smaller chunks of
working code and put them together like a puzzle. Its a behaviour I was
taught in ancient times when "gosub" was a standard way of Basic
programming paradigm and much more preferred from "goto".

Best regards
Petr

> Josh,
>
> Many thanks - here's a subset of the data and a couple examples:

plotter(10,3,fram=rwb,framvec=rwb$prcnt.char.depth,obj=prcnt.char.depth,form1=
> post.f.crwn.length~shigo.av,form2=post.f.crwn.length~shigo.av-1,
> form3=leaf.area~(1/exp(shigo.av*x))*n,type=2,xlm=70,ylm=35)
>
> plotter(10,3,fram=rwb, framvec=rwb$prcnt.char.depth,
obj=prcnt.char.depth,
> form1= post.f.crwn.length~leaf.area,
form2=post.f.crwn.length~leaf.area-1,
> form3=leaf.area~(1/exp(shigo.av*x))*n,type=1, xlm=1500, ylm=35,
> sx=.01,sn=25)
>

> plotter<-function(a,b,fram,framvec,obj,form1,form2,form3, type=1, xlm,
ylm,
> sx=.01,sn=25){
> g<-ceiling(a/b)
> par(mfrow=c(b,g))
> num<-rep(0,a)
> sub.plotter<-function(i,fram,framvec,obj,form1,form2,form3,type,
> xlm,ylm,var1,var2){
> temp.i<-fram[framvec <=(i*.10),] #trees in the list that have an
attribute
> less than or equal to a progressively larger percentage
>  plot(form1, data=temp.i, xlim=c(0,xlm), ylim=c(0,ylm),
main=((i-1)*.10))
> [...]
> try(x1<-summary(mod)$coefficients[1,1], silent=TRUE)
>  try(n1<-summary(mod)$coefficients[2,1], silent=TRUE)
> try(lines((1/exp(c(0:70)*x1)*n1)), silent=TRUE)
>  try(num[i]<-AIC(mod), silent=TRUE)
> try(legend("bottomright", legend=round(num[i],3) , col="black"),
> silent=TRUE)
>  try((num), silent=TRUE)
>   }
> }}
> for(i in 0:a+1){
>  num<-sub.plotter(i,fram,framvec,obj,form1,form2,form3,type,xlm,ylm)
> }
> plot.cor<-function(x){
> temp<-a+1
> lengthx<-c(1:temp)
> plot(x~c(1:temp))
> m2<-lm(x~c(1:temp))
> abline(m2)
> n<-summary(m2)$adj.r.squared
> legend("bottomright", legend=signif(n), col="black")
> slope<-(coef(m2)[2])# slope
> values<-(num)#values for aic or adj r2
> r2ofr2<-(n) #r2 of r2 or AIC
> output<-data.frame(lengthx,slope,values,r2ofr2)
> }
> plot.cor(num)
> write.csv(plot.cor(num)$output,"output.csv") # can't seem to use
> paste(substitute(form3),".csv",sep="") to name it at the moment
> par(mfrow=c(1,1))
> }
>

> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Joshua Wiley <jwiley.psych at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Glancing through your code it was not immediately obvious to me why it
> > does not work, but I can see a lot of things that could be simplified.
> >  It would really help if you could give us a reproducible example.
> > Find/upload/create (in R) some data, and examples of how you would use
> > the function.  Right now, I can only guess what your data etc. are
> > like and based on your description plus what the code you wrote seems
> > to expect to be given.  I could try to give code suggestions, but I
> > have no easy way of testing them so it would be very easy to make
> > typos, etc.  Then you just get back my edits to your code that still
> > do not work and maybe it is because of something fundamentally wrong
> > with what I have done, a simple typo, or something else still wrong in
> > your code that I did not fix.
> >
> > Anyway, if you send some data and an example using your function
> > (i.e., using the data you send, write our form1, form2, type, etc.), I
> > will take a look at your function and see if I can make it run.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Benjamin Caldwell
> > <btcaldwell at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've written a small function that's supposed to save me some time,
and
> > > it's ending up killing it- the intention is to iteratively subset a
> > dataset
> > > fram on framevec, fit a model (either lm or nls depending on type)
and