[R] meta-analysis, outcome = OR associated with a continuous independent variable

Thomas Lumley tlumley at uw.edu
Wed Apr 4 23:41:47 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Marie-Pierre Sylvestre
<mp.sylvestre at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I want to do a meta-analysis of case-control studies on which an OR was
> computed based on a continuous exposure. I have found several several
> packages (metafor, rmeta, meta) but unless I misunderstood their main
> functions,  it seems to me that they focus on two-group comparisons (binary
> independent variable), and do not have the option of using a continuous
> independent variable.

There's no problem in using continuous exposures in meta.summaries()
in the rmeta package.  For each study, compute your log odds ratio and
its standard error, and feed them in.

You just need to make sure that the odds ratio is in the same units in
each study, of course.

   -thomas

--
Thomas Lumley