[R] Inputing Excel data into R to make a map

Metametadata Jeffrey064 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 22:24:10 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to input an excel datasheet with city names and lat+longs,  that
has already been converted to a .csv file and make a map using R with my
data.  My datasheet is 30 cities, with their lat+long, temp, elevation. So
far all I'm able to do is load the datasheet into R, I installed the map+
maptools packages so I can see a map of the US in R, but I don't know how I
can make my data can show up on the map.  I've read around that I need to
scale something but my data is so different than most peoples online, so I
don't know if its just the way I set up my data in Excel. I want to post my
datasheet on the forum, but I don't know how to.  I've tried using "ggplot2"
library to plot my points and to put the code in the map that we used, which
is this

library(maps)

map("state", interior = FALSE)

map("state", boundary = FALSE, col="gray", add = TRUE)

So ultimately all I need to figure out how to scale my points so that it
fits with my map, and also once they are scaled how do I combined them? If
you have any questions please let me know!

Cheers!