[R] Function - simple question

flacerdams flacerdams at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 23:42:29 CEST 2012

Dear all,

Suppose I have a dataset with two variables:

X = c(0, 1, 2)
Y = c(1, 1, 1)
DS = data.frame(X, Y)

Now, I want to create a new variable Z with 3 observations, but I want its
values to be the result of a function. I want to create a function that
compares X and Y, and if X = Y, then Z value = 3. If X value differs from Y
value, Z value = 4. So, I'd have the following values for Z: 4, 3, 4.

How can I create a function like that? (Sorry, I know it's a dumb question,
I began to use R two days ago)

Thank you very much,

Lacerda