[R] filling the matrix row by row in the order from lower to larger elements

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Fri Apr 6 23:14:37 CEST 2012

I think the OP wants to fill values in an arbitrarily large matrix.
Now, first of all, I'd like to know what his real problem is, since this
seems like a very tedious and unproductive matrix to produce.  But in
the meantime,  since he also left out important information, let's
assume the input matrix is N rows by M columns, and that he wants
therefore to end up with N instances of "100", not counting the original
value of 100 that is one of his ranking values (a bad BAD move IMHO).

Then either loop or lapply over an equation like (I've expanded things
more than necessary for clarity
result<-inmatrix
for (k in 1:N){
foo <- which (inmatrix == k,arr.ind=T)
result[k,foo[2]] <-100
}

I maybe missing something but this seems like an indexing problem
which doesn't require a loop at all. Something like this maybe?

(input<-matrix(c(5,1,3,7,2,6,4,8),nc=2))
output <- matrix(0,max(input),2)
output[input[,1],1] <- 100
output[input[,2],2] <- 100
output

Cheers

--

Sent from my Cray XK6
"Quidvis recte factum, quamvis humile, praeclarum."