[R] newbie question: strategy

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 09:02:25 CEST 2012

Just a heads up: I'm pretty sure Josh and the other QS developers have
access to intra-day data, but they can't provide an example using it
in the package because the EULAs of most data providers won't allow
direct redistribution of their data. The examples included all go
online and download data from a free source, but they don't provide it
directly because even the "free" providers like Yahoo don't allow
that. [There's a whole beer vs speech thing at play here]

If you do put truly free intraday numbers online, you'll be doing a
big service to the community, but make sure it's legal before you
start. You'll also note that the older packages in the
quant(mod|strat) universe like TTR don't use real data for their
examples: rather they use simulated data to avoid all such issues.

I imagine full quanstrat documentation will appear in time, but it's
still under (very) active development so the mailing list archive
examples are the best currently available. Once the system and the API
are finalized, then it will make sense to document them.

Hope this helps,
Michael