[R] slanted stacked bar graphs?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 09:37:40 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Susanna Makela
<susanna.m.makela at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello R users,
>
> I would like to generate "slanted" stacked bar graphs like those on
> the bottom of pages 1 and 2 in this document:
> http://www.wssinfo.org/fileadmin/user_upload/resources/JMP-Snapshot-SWA-HLM.pdf
> . I've also attached the file to this email (pdf). Does anyone know if
> this is possible in R? I have tried googling and searching the R help
> archives, and it seems like ggplot2 might be able to make such graphs,
> but I'm not familiar enough with graphics in R to know for sure.
>
> (I personally don't feel that these "slanted" bar graphs - not sure if
> they have an actual name - convey the intended information very well,
> but I have to try and make them all the same. However, I am open to
> alternative suggestions for visualizing similar data if anyone has
> ideas.)

These exact charts have been critiqued on the Junk Charts blog:

http://junkcharts.typepad.com/junk_charts/2010/02/cousin-misfit.html

 and you'll even find some ggplot code in the comments for doing them.
If you still want to...

 I just did a google image search for 'ggplot stacked' and there they were.

Barry

--
blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings