[R] Calculating the overlapping area of ellipsoides

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Mon Apr 9 16:02:47 CEST 2012

I'm generating several scatter3d visualizations of vegetation community
distribution against a number parameters using the scatter3d function car
package,

The visualizations are fantastic and they provide great support for the
analysis. As far as I can determine, scatter3d does not save the output of
the routine as an object so I can not

x <-  scatter3d(MADep2010  ~ Day7Max2010 + S7DryFreq2010  |
as.factor(VegClass), data = Veg ,
    axis.scale = TRUE, sphere.size=1.5, surface=FALSE, parallel=FALSE,
ellipsoid=TRUE, revolutions=1,
       surface.col =c("red", "green", "blue", "gold", "magenta"))

str(x)
NULL

I would like to extend the work by calculating the percent of overlapping
area among the ellipsoides on a community by community basis.

Can anyone point me to a package or suggest an approach to accomplishing
this.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Ecologist  / Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282