[R] Encoding of Sweave file error message

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:32:26 CEST 2012

On 12-04-12 12:13 AM, Duncan Mackay wrote:

> At 12:03 12/04/2012, you wrote:
>> I had the same problem! So, as I'm a linux user,
>> I prefer use linux terminal. On terminal I type this to compile
>>
>> R CMD Sweave --encoding=utf-8 myfile.Rnw
>>
>> and the compilation is successful. Try to set the encoding option in Sweave().
>>
>> Bests.
>> Walmes.
>>
>> ==========================================================================
>> Walmes Marques Zeviani
>> LEG (Laboratório de Estatística e Geoinformação, 25.450418 S, 49.231759 W)
>> Departamento de Estatística - Universidade Federal do Paraná
>> fone: (+55) 41 3361 3573
>> VoIP: (3361 3600) 1053 1173
>> e-mail:<mailto:walmes at ufpr.br>walmes at ufpr.br
>> twitter: @walmeszeviani
>> homepage:<http://www.leg.ufpr.br/%7Ewalmes>http://www.leg.ufpr.br/~walmes
>> linux user number: 531218
>> ==========================================================================
>
> Hi Walmes
>
> Thank you very much. That appears to be the problem.
> When I typed from the DOS terminal
>
> R CMD Sweave --encoding=utf-8 ParasiteComb12.Rnw
>
> it compiled the tex file without any error messages.
>
> I have not really got into font encoding and
> reading the Sweave manual I thought that what I had done would be sufficient.
>
> I found an old note which gave a reference to
> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e10/help/10/05/4725.html
> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e10/help/10/05/4889.html
> but that appears to be specific.
>
> The ?Sweave and the Sweave manual appear to be
> more specific about the latex side.
>
> After having a look at iconvlist()  and bearing
> in mind Duncan Murdoch's comments about windows I tried
>
> Sweave("D:/Cic/Sweave/Parasite/Comb/12/ParasiteComb12.Rnw",
> encoding = "UTF-8")
>
> from the Rgui command window and compiled without any problems
> When I had a look at the tex file there were a
> few DOS Alt-248 (degree symbol ) within latex
> comments which were added last running R2.14 before updating

That doesn't sound like UTF-8 encoding, it sounds like Latin-1.  So
declaring it to be UTF-8 will eventually cause you some problems, when
you put some of those characters in a place that LaTeX processes.  You
can avoid the problem by putting this line in your Rnw file:

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

as the ?Sweave help page says.  Or, just delete those non-ASCII
characters.  There's a function in the tools package to detect them:
see ?tools::showNonASCII.

Duncan Murdoch