[R] scatter3d: problem with spheres-color

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Apr 12 20:27:48 CEST 2012

Dear René,

I've confirmed that the spheres aren't coloured correctly on my Ubuntu system (the first colour is used for all of the spheres), and I know that this works right on Windows, as you mentioned. I'm curious to try it on my Mac, but don't have that handy at the moment.

I also looked at the code for scatter3d.default(), and that is pretty straightforward; scatterplot3d.default() draws the spheres with the command

    rgl.spheres(x, y, z, color = surface.col[as.numeric(groups)],
                radius = size)

I'm copying this response to Duncan Murdoch (the coauthor and maintainer of the rgl package) in case he has any insight into the problem.

Thank you for drawing this issue to my attention.

John

John Fox
Sen. William McMaster Prof. of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/