[R] simple read in with zoo using POSIXlt

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Sat Apr 14 15:28:43 CEST 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, knavero wrote:

> Easy question a bit. So here's my code:
>
> http://pastebin.com/F4iQPVy5
>
> I am trying to read in a series of timestamps. However with POSIXlt as
> FUN in read.zoo, the output is merely two numbers and is not the output
> that I'm hoping for. The code above should reproduce the error.

You just need to declare that the index is in two columns (1 and 2) and
then provide a function that extracts a suitable object from it:

read.zoo("test.txt", header = FALSE, index = 1:2,
   FUN = function(x, y) strptime(paste(x, y), "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M"))

Use an additional as.POSIXct(...) around the strptime() call if you want
to use POSIXct instead of POSIXlt which is typically recommended.

See vignette("zoo-read", package = "zoo") for more examples.