[R] Survival Curves

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Apr 16 19:46:44 CEST 2012

On Apr 16, 2012, at 1:02 PM, robgriffin247 wrote:

> actually, maybe I haven't quite solved this - the plot doesn't
> appear to
> include the 23 that are still alive at the end.
>
> I have tried using a status variable (1 or 0  dependant upon
> survival as in
> page 800, roughly, in the R book)
> Call: survfit(formula = Surv(ssl$long, ssl$status) ~ ssl$sex)
> 23 observations deleted due to missingness
>
> (these 23 will be the 23 long - longevity - scores of NA)

If a case is censored you need to code the longevity value as the
duration at last observation, .... not NA. (Crawley's "R Book" is not
particularly good at explaining this or many other aspects of R, IMO).

   The code will take care of the censoring because you code its
status as "alive" == 0 as of last observation. When I do this, I
create my survival-years as:

   surv.yr <- ifelse(status,  death.dt-entry.dt, study.close.dt -
entry.dt )/365.25

--
David.