[R] Effeciently sum 3d table

David A Vavra davavra at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 22:04:18 CEST 2012

> even now you _could_ be clearer

I fail to see why it's unclear.

>> I'm after T1 + T2 + T3 + ...
> Which would be one number ... i.e. the result you originally said you
>did not want.

I think it's precisely what I want. If I have two 3d tables, T1 and T2, then
say either
	1) T1 + T2
	2) T1 - T2
(1) yields a third table equal to the sum of the individual cells and (2)
yields a table full of zeroes. At least it does for matrices. Are you saying
the T1+T2+T3+... above is equivalent to:

   sum(T1)+sum(T2)+sum(T3)+....

when the table has more than 2d? I tried it out by hand I get the result I'm
after. What I want is a general solution. Reduce may be the answer but I
find the documentation for it a bit daunting. Not to mention that it is far
from obvious that I should have originally thought of using it.

DAV