[R] introducing R to high school students

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Apr 18 07:38:31 CEST 2012

<...snipped>

>> I anticipate keeping things very simple:
>> --objects and the fact that there is stuff inside them. str(), head(), tail()
>> --how to get data into R
>> --dataframes, as I imagine they will mostly be using single,
>> "rectangular" datasets
>> --a lot of graphics (I can't imagine that  plot(force, acceleration)
>> is beyond a high-schooler's capability.)
>> --simple descriptive statistics
>> --maybe t-tests, chi-square tests, and simple linear regression.
>>

> I have some experience in this and would have to agree with Indrajit
> that this is not a good idea.
>
> When I tried to teach R to a high school student it was not very
> successful.  Certainly based on that experience the list above is way
> too complex.  Don't teach anything on that list at all.  The number of
> concepts involved in that is simply overwhelming.

Oh amen amen!

I'd go farther: It's overwhelming for college students.

Farther yet: I've met very few scientists and engineers who understand
what a standard deviation is. Fewer still who understand the
difference between a sample statistic and a population parameter for
which it's an estimate.

This approach to "basic" statistics is (imho) symptomatic of why our
discipline is so widely disliked and misunderstood.

Cheers,
Bert

 Also avoid teaching