[R] [R-pkgs] new package: hydroPSO 0.1-54-1

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Apr 18 10:12:52 CEST 2012

Dear R and hydrological/environmental community,

I would like to draw your attention to hydroPSO, a newly developed R
package for the calibration/optimisation of (complex) environmental models.

hydroPSO implements a state-of-the-art Particle Swarm Optimisation (PSO)
algorithm, which is a global optimisation technique with a surge of
attention given its flexibility, ease of implementation and efficiency.

Key features of hydroPSO are:

1) Model-independent calibration engine
2) Minimal user intervention to define I/O functions for interfacing
hydroPSO with the model code
3) Several fine-tuning options to customise the calibration engine (for
advanced PSO users)
4) Sensitivity analysis included, using the Latin Hypercube
One-factor-At-a-Time (LH-OAT)
5) Several functions for post-processing of the calibration results

hydroPSO is already available on CRAN:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/hydroPSO/

you can install it with:

 > install.packages("hydroPSO")

This package includes a vignette (tutorial) showing how to calibrate
SWAT-2005 (http://swatmodel.tamu.edu/software/swat-model/) and
MODFLOW-2005
(http://water.usgs.gov/nrp/gwsoftware/modflow2005/modflow2005.html) for
real-world case studies.

You can download the vignette and all the files required to follow the
two case studies from:

http://www.rforge.net/hydroPSO/

For assistance/bugs report/comments contact/collaboration do not
hesitate to contact the authors:

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini <mzb.devel [at] gmail.com>
Rodrigo Rojas               <Rodrigo.RojasMujica [at] gmail.com>

Kind regards,

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini, PhD

Water Resources Unit
Joint Research Centre (JRC), European Commission
webinfo    : http://floods.jrc.ec.europa.eu/