[R] need advice on using excel to check data for import into R

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 22:10:25 CEST 2012

This is really a job for a database, and Excel is not a database (even
though many think it is).  I have some clients that I have convinced
to create an Access database rather than use Excel (still MS product
so it can't be that scary, right?).  They were often a little
reluctant at first because they would be using a new tool, and they
actually had to think about the design of the database up front, but
once they got to serious data entry they were very grateful for me
directing them to Access over Excel.  Databases have tools to validate
data on entry so there will be fewer cases where you need to ask them
for corrections (and it will be easier for them to fix any problems
that do sneak through).