[R] .rda vs. .RData

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 09:36:58 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Jeff Newmiller
<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> My bad, I was thinking of rds (?saveRDS). RData and rda are mentioned under ?data as alternate file extensions for the same data format. Sorry for posting without checking first.

 Understandable mistake. Confusingly similar file extensions are
confusingly similar.

 I'd have called them .Rob for the current .rds file format (single
object), and .Ros for the current .rda file format (>1 objects).

[actually I would have called them .Rob or .Robject, and .Rwk or
.Rworkspace but then I noticed that if you had a .Rob you had to have
a .Ros so as not to favour one or other of the project originators :)]

Barry