[R] Scatter plot / LOESS, or LOWESS for more than one parameter

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:45:55 CEST 2012

Assuming that you want event as the x-axis (horizontal) you can do
something like (untested without reproducible data):

par(mfrow=c(2,1))
scatter.smooth( event, pH1 )
scatter.smooth( event, pH2 )

or

plot( event, pH1, ylim=range(pH1,pH2) , col='blue')
points( event, pH2, col='green' )
lines( loess.smooth(event,pH1), col='blue')
lines( loess.smooth(event,pH2), col='green')

Only do the second one if pH1 and pH2 are measured on the same scale
in a way that the comparison and any crossings are meaningful or if
there is enough separation (but not too much) that there is no
overlap, but still enough detail.