[R] Errors Updating Libraries (2.15)

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 01:12:01 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>  I'll rebuild R-2.15 and start over. Will post results after doing that.
>

>  New build, new repository, same results.
>
>  Quite the new experience with R, but one I need to quickly put behind me.
>
>  Can someone suggest a test procedure to isolate the reason for this
> inability to install packages? All ideas are welcome!
>
> Rich

When you say you are upgrading R, are you installing it in the same
directory as the old install? I'm guessing that something went wrong
with R's database of installed packages. The hint is that, if I read
it correctly, installation of plyr and stringer throw an error because
of reshape2, but plyr and stringer do not depend on reshape2.

It could also be that you confuse R because you are installing into
your own library
‘/home/rshepard/R/i486-slackware-linux-gnu-library/2.15’ which somehow
causes a conflict if an older version exists in the system-wide
library.

If possible, I would wipe the installation directory (or choose a new
one) as well your personal library (or better yet, disable the
personal library altogether), then try again.

FWIW, package reshape2, including its dependencies, installs fine on
my (linux) machine under R 2.15.0.

Peter