[R] Aggregate function for comparison stats

Neil Davis neda at dtu.dk
Thu Apr 26 15:29:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a data.frame which contains timeseries from several different
locations, which I want to compare against each other for example
calculating RMSE, or normalized mean bias of each location against the
others. An example of this is the cor function where I can put in a
data.frame and get the correlation of each location compared to the
others in the data.frame eg.
cor(data.frame(a=runif(10),b=runif(10),c=runif(10),d=runif(10)))

Is there any generic way of getting this for other functions, such as
the aggregate or lapply functions? I have read their documentation, but
was unclear as to how I might use them to get a matrix like the cor
function. I could do this using a pair of loops, but was hoping there
might be a more general way of creating such a matrix of any comparison
function.

Thank you for your help,

--

Neil Davis
Ph.d.-student

Technical University of Denmark

Department of Wind Energy
Risø Campus Frederiksborgvej 399, P.O. Box 49
Building 125
4000 Roskilde
Direct +45 46775067
neda at dtu.dk <mailto:neda at dtu.dk>