[R] expression() and font.lab ?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Apr 27 20:36:59 CEST 2012

On Apr 27, 2012, at 11:22 AM, aparna15 wrote:

> Hi..
>
> I managed to use expression() for superscripting and subscripting
> values in
> my axis labels.

What's missing here is your plotting code and your machine and R
installation details. You may want to review the Posting Guide for
what is requested. Plotting issues are more machine dependent than
other aspects. Since the ?plotmath page does have details that include:

"The fonts used are taken from the current font family, and so can be
set by par(family=) in base graphics, and gpar(fontfamily=) in package
grid.

Note that bold, italic and bolditalic do not apply to symbols, and
hence not to the Greek symbols such as mu which are displayed in the
symbol font. They also do not apply to numeric constants."

... my speculation is that you may not be using base graphics or you
may have excessive expectations regarding how symbols are displayed.
You can sometimes get around that last limitation by using character
values where you want numeric values in bold or italic. Again, we need
full details. Put together a reproducible example and repost.

--
David