[R] CForest Error Logical Subscript Too Long

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Mon Apr 30 16:05:28 CEST 2012

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Abigail Clifton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my code (my data is attached):
>
> library(languageR)
> library(rms)
> library(party)
> OLDDATA <- read.csv("/Users/Abigail/Documents/OldData250412.csv")
> OLDDATA$YD <- factor(OLDDATA$YD, label=c("Yes", "No"))
> OLDDATA$ND <- factor(OLDDATA$ND, label=c("Yes", "No"))
> attach(OLDDATA)
> defaults <- cbind(YD, ND)

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do here. It seems that you have
a bivariate response, where each of the responses is a binary factor. If
so, you have to specify this as

   cforest(YD + ND ~ LN + LV + ..., ...)

because cbind(YD, ND) loses the factor property of the data and hence
leades to the error below.

But it may also be conceivable that YD/ND count the number of
successes/failures, similar to a binary GLM. If so, you need to construct
a binary factor response y = factor(c("Success", "Failure", "Success",
"Failure", ...)) with the corresponding w = c(nsuc1, nfail1, nsuc2,
nfail2, ....)) and then call cforest(y ~ ..., weights = w).

hth,