[R] Hmisc::pstamp, mfcol, and spacing

David Reiner David.Reiner at xrtrading.com
Mon Apr 30 19:32:29 CEST 2012

I am trying to make a nice 2x1 plot and add a timestamp with comment.
The pstamp function from Hmisc works nicely when mfcol=c(1,1),
but when mfcol=c(2,1), the stamp winds up in the wrong place:

> require('Hmisc')
> opar <- par(mfcol=c(2,1))
> plot(1:10)
> title(main="MAIN Title")
> plot(1:20)
> title(main="Another Title")
> pstamp("normal pars")
> par(opar)

How can I get the stamp in the lower left corner?
I've looked at the source for pstamp,
and it's not obvious to me what the best modification would be to achieve my goal.

A second question is how to reduce the whitespace between the two plots.
There are many graphical parameters that affect the margins and so on,
and I haven't tried the right combination yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
David L. Reiner, Ph.D.
Head Quant
XR Trading LLC
550 West Jackson Boulevard, Suite 1000
Chicago, IL 60661-5704
(312) 244-4610 direct
(312) 244-4500 main
David.Reiner at xrtrading.com

This e-mail and any materials attached hereto, including, without limitation, all content hereof and thereof (collectively, "XR Content") are confidential and proprietary to XR Trading, LLC ("XR") and/or its affiliates, and are protected by intellectual property laws.  Without the prior written consent of XR, the XR Content may not (i) be disclosed to any third party or (ii) be reproduced or otherwise used by anyone other than current employees of XR or its affiliates, on behalf of XR or its affiliates.

THE XR CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS, WITHOUT REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND.  TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, XR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS AND IMPLIED, RELATING TO THE XR CONTENT, AND NEITHER XR NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES SHALL IN ANY EVENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL AND PUNITIVE DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS AND TRADING LOSSES, RESULTING FROM ANY PERSON'S USE OR RELIANCE UPON, OR INABILITY TO USE, ANY XR CONTENT, EVEN IF XR IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR IF SUCH DAMAGES WERE FORESEEABLE.