[R] Matrix transposition

Filoche pmassicotte at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 22:00:40 CEST 2012

Hi everyone.

I want to transpose a data frame. Lets say the following DF:

df = data.frame(matrix(ncol=4, nrow = 10))

df[,1] = c(rep(1,5),rep(2,5))
df[,2] = c(rep('a',4),rep('b',3),rep('c',3))
df[,3] = c(letters[5:14])
df[,4] = runif(10)

I would like to form a data frame with each line corresponding to colon X1
and create a variable with columns X2 and X3.

This would give me a DF with the following columns.
/
*X1, ae, af, ag, bi, bj, bk, cl, cm, cn*
/1 n n n n n NA NA NA NA NA
2 NA NA NA NA NA n n n n n

where n = numbers in column X4.

I'm not sure how to manipulate my DF to rearrange it so I keep var X1 but I
create 10 new variables with coloumns X2 and X3 with values from X4.

I hope I have been clear enough!

Thank in advance for your insights,
Phil