[R] drawing a specific "plane" with scatterplot3d

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Aug 1 14:42:31 CEST 2012

On 31.07.2012 21:14, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 12-07-31 2:54 PM, Andras Farkas wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> using the example from the package scatterplot3d I created a 3d plot
>> as follows:
>>
>> x <-rnorm(500,50,2)
>> y <-rnorm(500,5,1)
>> z <-rnorm(500,6,1)
>> scatterplot3d(x, y, z, highlight.3d=TRUE,
>> col.axis="blue",col.grid="lightblue", main="scatterplot3d - 1", pch=20)
>>
>> I would like to ask if anyone could help me with the following:
>>
>> 1. I would like to draw  a plane across the plot that is paralell to
>> the bottom of the plot and is in the heights of the value 6 on the
>> axis "z", and goes across the plot
>
> This is hard to do in scatterplot3d, because some points should be
> hidden and others shown in front of such a plane, but scatterplot3d has
> no way to do that.

No, but the human brain may help to make it not too hard a task:

s3d <- scatterplot3d(x[z<6], y[z<6], z[z<6], zlim=range(z),
     color="darkgrey", col.axis="blue",col.grid="lightblue",
     main="scatterplot3d - 1", pch=20)
s3d$plane3d(6, 0, 0)
s3d$points3d(x[z>=6], y[z>=6], z[z>=6], pch=20)

Best,
Uwe ligges

You could do it using the rgl package; the commands