[R] read.table() Issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 1 19:51:33 CEST 2012

   Yesterday I changed the headers for a couple of columns in data text files
and removed hyphens from within character strings, too. When I tried to
re-read these data sources using read.table() I encountered an issue I've
not before seen. Both files were read almost instantly until yesterday's
wording changes.

   Now both files seem to cause R to hang. Rather than having the prompt
immediately returned nothing happens. In emacs the 'working' symbol appears
but the read.table() function does not complete.

   What might cause this?

Rich