[R] How to link two R packages together

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Aug 2 15:42:20 CEST 2012

Josh:

You may be right ... but I still do not think so. Note that the post
begins with:

One of them (PKG1) needs to use the functions
> of the other package (PKG2).

This is exactly what imports are for. I believe that, because he/she
failed to RTFM, he/she is not being accurate in his/her use of the
relevant terms. Certainly, to me at least, it is unclear. Moreover, as
I understand it (see the manual) imports are preferred over
dependencies, as I indicated in my reply.

Anyway, in either case, the central advice is that which both Michael
and I gave: RTFM. Perhaps it's a generation gap (I am old), but I
believe there has been a trend for new R users to post here without
making any significant effort to consult the docs. This strikes me as
intellectually lazy and, frankly, inconsiderate to those like yourself
-- or BDR -- who are willing to give up their time and effort to help
those with legitimate questions. You and others may consider this an
overreaction of course.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems relevant to your close parsing of the thread.

-- Cheers,
Bert