[R] How to link two R packages together

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:46:11 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Xuan Zhao <xuan.zhao at sentrana.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Thank you so much for all the help you have provided, I really appreciate it!
> The problem is solved, I just added PKG2 to the dependency of PKG1 in the description file, also (I don't know if it's necessary or not), I added "import(PKG2)" to the NAMESPACE file. In addition to that, I install PKG2 under a path R can recognize, namely, belong to ".libPaths()".
> I have tried other ways besides install it under the path R can recognize, like  adding a file ~/.R/check.Environ, whose contents are: 'R_LIBS_SITE=${R_LIBS_SITE-'directoryunderwhichPKG2isinstalled'}', but it still doesn't work.

By which you mean .... ?

> I looked through the manual, they just say the file 'check.Environ' should be put under '~/.R', but I am not should what the "~/" should be. Is that my home directory or what? Should that be the host? I am not the host of the server, does that matter?
> Thank you so much for the help!
> Yours,
> Xuan

"~" is a standard UNIX (POSIX?) shorthand for the user's home
directory. On my Mac it is "/Users/mweylandt" and I imagine you'd get
something similar on all Linux and BSD systems -- one easy way to see
where it is: go to your terminal and type "cd && pwd" which will print
it out. No idea what the parallel on Windows is: possibly something
under C:/Documents and Settings but it's been so long since I've had
the misfortune of doing serious work on Windows, I can't remember.

Incidentally, is there a reason you can't put your package in the
"regular" place?

Finally, see the manuals that Bert, Josh, and I have pointed you to:
they are much more authoritative on these matters than any of us.

Best,
Michael