[R] Metafor package: Including multiple (categorical) predictors

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Aug 3 10:06:11 CEST 2012

Just to follow up on that: You can use the 'btt' argument in the rma() function to specify which coefficients to include in the QM test. For example:

data(dat.bcg)
dat <- escalc(measure="RR", ai=tpos, bi=tneg, ci=cpos, di=cneg, data=dat.bcg, append=TRUE)
rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ factor(alloc) + year + ablat, data=dat, btt=c(2,3))

will give you a test of the alloc factor. Note that it does not matter which level of the factor is the reference level:

rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ relevel(factor(alloc), ref="random") + year + ablat, data=dat, btt=c(2,3))

This will give you a Wald-type test. Alternatively, you can use a likelihood ratio test (for this, you have to use method="ML"):

res1 <- rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ factor(alloc) + year + ablat, data=dat, method="ML")
res0 <- rma(yi, vi, mods = ~               + year + ablat, data=dat, method="ML")
anova(res1, res0)

Best,

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology