[R] Recursive function calls

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Aug 3 19:02:37 CEST 2012

"Recursively loop over an object" is a pretty meaningless phrase,
since it depends entirely on the structure of the object. For example,
a character vector is an object, and there is no need for any sort of
recursion to do what you want for it.

The following regex example trims trailing "spaces" (see ?regex for an
exact definition). Adapt it to whatever structure you like, probably
with apply type functions.

> x <- c("   ab   ","ab  \t  ","\t\t")
[1] "   ab   " "ab  \t  "  "\t\t"
> sub("[[:space:]]+$","",x)
[1] "   ab" "ab"    ""

But note also that (e.g. S3) methods and is.list or is.recursive may
be useful in a more general approach, something like (where deSpace(x)
is a function with the above sub() expression):

nospace <- function(x){
if(is.atomic(x))deSpace(x)
else lapply(x, function(y)Recall(y))  ##?Recall for recursion
}

Note that this is completely untested, probably fails miserably and
isn't what you want anyway, ...
;-)
Good luck!

Cheers,