[R] Memory limit for Windows 64bit build of R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 10:57:24 CEST 2012

On 06/08/2012 09:42, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 06.08.2012 09:34, David Winsemius wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 5, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Alan.X.Simpson at nab.com.au wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise machine, with 64bit R
>>> installed
>>> running on 2 x Quad-core Intel Xeon 5500 processor with 24GB DDR3 1066
>>> Mhz
>>> RAM.  I am seeking to analyse very large data sets (perhaps as much as
>>> 10GB), without the addtional coding overhead of a package such as
>>> bigmemory().
>>
>> It may depend in part on how that number is arrived at. And what you
>> plan on doing with it. (Don't consider creating a dist-object.)
>>>
>>> My question is this - if we were to increase the RAM on the machine to
>>> (say) 128GB, would this become a possibility?  I have read the
>>> documentation on memory limits and it seems so, but would like some
>>> additional confirmation before investing in any extra RAM.
>>
>> The trypical advices is you will need memory that is 3 times as large as
>> a large dataset, and I find that even more headroom is needed. I have

The advice is 'at least 3 times'.  It all depends what you are doing
(and how slow your swap is -- on Windows it is likely to be slow; on a
Linux box with a fast SSD it can be viable to use swap).

>> 32GB and my larger datasets occupy 5-6 GB and I generally have few
>> problems. I had quite a few problems with 18 GB, so I think the ratio
>> should be 4-5 x your 10GB object.  I predict you could get by with 64GB.

But 3 x 18GB > 32GB!

>> (please send check for half the difference in cost between 64GB abd 128
>> GB.)
>>

> 10Gb objects should be fine, but note that a vector/array/matrix cannot
> exceed  2^31-1 elements, hence a 17Gb vector/matrix/array of doubles /
> reals.

That's true for R 2.15.1, but not the development version.  Further,
R-devel makes substantially fewer copies of objects, most of which
improvements have been ported to R-patched.

dist() is one example of substantial improvements.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk