[R] bibtex::read.bib -- extracting bibentry keys

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Mon Aug 6 17:54:55 CEST 2012

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Michael Friendly wrote:

> I have two versions of a bibtex database which have gotten badly out of
> sync. I need to find find all the entries in bib2 which are not
> contained in bib1, according to their bibtex keys. But I can't figure
> out how to extract a list of the bibentry keys in these databases.

read.bib() returns a "bibentry" object so you can simply do this as usual
for "bibentry" objects with $key:

x <- read.bib(...)
x$key

or maybe

unlist(x$key)

Whatever is more convenient for you. See ?bibentry for more details.

> A minor question: Is there someway to prevent read.bib from ignoring
> entries that do not contain all required fields?

Also not really an issue with read.bib itself. read.bib() wants to return
a "bibentry" object but bibentry() just allows to create objects that are
valid BibTeX, i.e., have all required fields.

> A suggestion: it would be nice if bibtex provided some extractor functions
> for bibentry fields.

So that only a subset of fields is read as opposed to all fields?

If you read all fields, you can easily subset afterwards (again using
$-notation).

hth,