[R] no font could be found for family "Arial"

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Aug 6 19:41:07 CEST 2012

On Aug 6, 2012, at 2:01 AM, tibr wrote:

> I hope the original poster fixed this a long time ago, but I had the
> same
> problem and here is how I fixed it:
>
> - go to the application Fontbook
> - check if the Arial font has duplicates, and delete them, even if
> they are
> set to "Off"
> - restart the computer.

Which you would have found with a search of the SIG-Mac list had you
followed the advice that Prof. Ripley gave at the time. I do not
delete both copies of the duplicated fonts when this has occurred on
my machine ... only the ones that were defective.

> emmats wrote
>>
>> I was re-running some code that I hadn't run in a couple of months
>> to make
>> barplots in R.  I didn't change a single thing in the script, but the
>> plots wouldn't work this time around.  The plot itself (the bars
>> and axes)
>> will graph in the window, but no text appears.  In the console it
>> says I
>> have a number of errors, all of which say "no font could be found for
>> family 'Arial'".
>> I have not knowingly changed anything in R and I would like to be
>> able to
>> make barplots with labels and titles again.  Does anyone know how
>> to fix
>> this?
>
> --
posting to this list is the wrong one. The Nabble interface obscures
that fact among many other facts, including where the real Archives are.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA