[R] Trying to build up a user interface with the R tcltk package

Julio Sergio Santana juliosergio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:34:55 CEST 2012

I'm trying to build up a user inteface using the R tcltk component. Since the
documentation for this R library is scarce and poor, I have decided to use
only the .Tcl function to pass commands to the tcl interpreter. So I wrote
my
first very simple tcltk program, hoping to run it from inside R and get the
nice Tk window, with the following R instruction:

   -> .Tcl('source smalltst.tcl')
   -> <Tcl>

Eventhough, neither R nor tcl complain about the instruction, I don't get
the tk window. The tcltk program, stored in "smalltst.tcl", which, by the
way displays a simple tk window when run from tclsh, is as follows:

    #! /usr/bin/tclsh
    package require Tk
    ttk::frame .c -padding "3 3 12 12"
    ttk::frame .c.f -borderwidth 5 -relief sunken -width 200 -height 100
    ttk::label .c.namelbl -text Name
    grid .c -column 0 -row 0 -sticky nsew
    grid .c.f -column 0 -row 0 -columnspan 3 -rowspan 2 -sticky nsew
    grid .c.namelbl -column 3 -row 0 -columnspan 2 -sticky nw -padx 5

Do you have any comments on this?

Thanks,

 --Sergio.