[R] Problem with global variable building a package

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:30:01 CEST 2012

Probably the best thing to do is create an environment within the
package that you can assign to and read from.

Somewhere in the source code for the package include a line like:

my.env <- new.env()

then within any functions defined after that line you can set
variables within the environment with code like:

  my.env$paramA <- 3

and other functions can then read my.env$paramA.  This way you don't
need to worry about assign or <<- and all your functions will have
access to the same set of variables (but they won't interfere with the
users workspace).