[R] Cannot create Java virtual machine (-1)

Bos, Roger roger.bos at rothschild.com
Wed Aug 8 15:07:46 CEST 2012

All,

I am trying to get the XLConnect package to work on one of my servers and I am getting an error that XLConnectJars cannot create the java virtual machine.  The server is a 32-bit Windows  Server 2003 machine with R 2.15.1.  The version of Java installed on the server is J2SE Environment 5.0 update 8.  I know this not the latest version of Java, and I will try to update it when I get exclusive access to the server, but in the meantime is there anything else anyone can suggest for this error?

Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnectJars', details:
  call: .jinit()
  error: Cannot create Java virtual machine (-4)
Error: package 'XLConnectJars' could not be loaded
> library(rJava)
> library(XLConnect)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnectJars', details:
  call: .jinit()
  error: Cannot create Java virtual machine (-1)
Error: package 'XLConnectJars' could not be loaded
> library(XLConnectJars)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'XLConnectJars', details:
  call: .jinit()
  error: Cannot create Java virtual machine (-1)
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'XLConnectJars'
> .jinit()
Error in .jinit() : Cannot create Java virtual machine (-1)

Thanks,

Roger