[R] Stopping all code execution when ANY error occurs (OR error handling without try/tryCatch)

enocko enotrash at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 10:07:25 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I often run a bunch of code with Run Selection, and, after it's done
running, I find there have been like 20 errors, all due to an error that
occurred early in my code, which caused problems from there on. (I must then
scroll up through lots of code to find it.)

What I would like is for R to stop executing when an error occurs.

I am aware of a few solutions:
1. Put all the code in a function
2. Put all the code in a tryCatch statement with error handling
3. *partial solution only* Replace stop() with my own function, so at least
if the errors are coming from a call to stop, I can catch them and halt all
code execution. (I do this halting with a hack involving quit() and .Last(),
so also please let me know if there's a better way)

However, I don't want to put all the code in braces while I'm just
developing/playing around with code. I run various snippets of code all the
time, and it's time consuming to always make a tryCatch or function
surrounding whatever I'm executing.

Is there any way to do a kind of global error handling, so I could source()
some file once and then have it set for the rest of my session that day?

To see multiple errors that R doesn't stop, you can put these 2 lines into a
script and do Run Selection:
list() <- 1

You'll notice that 2 errors occur, whereas what I want is for execution to
just stop after the first error, so that the second line never gets run.

Thanks very much,

Phil