[R] Fill pattern for Boxplots?

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 05:45:18 CEST 2012

The fill patterns date back to when the main way to get quality graphs
was using a pen plotter.  Filling a rectangle with color using a pen
plotter took a long time and often resulted a soggy hole in the paper,
so the fill lines were preferred back then.  Now with high resolution
screens and printers it is easy to do the flood fill rather than the
patterns.

You need to be careful with the fill patterns, they can end up causing
moire effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern) which
can cause false impressions of movement or distortions of size.