[R] Using R as Shared Library

Thorsten Jolitz tjolitz at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 12 05:57:20 CEST 2012

Hi List,

I find the following .so file in the R folder of my Arch Linux machine:

,----------------------
| usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so
`----------------------

I copied it to my home folder and changed permissons from root to my
personal user and then tried to call R functions from a different
language (that has a 'native' function to call any kind of Shared
Library on Linux).

But to no avail - no matter if I try to call 'help' or 'imax2', I'm
always told the function doesn't exist.

So my question is basically: whats in there in the libR.so?
Can't I call all core R functions (via 'native') with the same arguments
as on the R command line? I'm a bit confused now about how to use R as a
shared library on Linux.

Thanks for any tips.

--
cheers,